Hidden Signs Of Water Damage That Need To Be Restored
One of the biggest problems with water damage is that it is not always obvious. In fact, in many homes water damage has been present for prolonged periods of time without anyone noticing it. So, how can you spot hidden water damage in your home before it becomes a major problem and the need for restoration becomes very apparent? Here are some signs of hidden water damage you should be aware of.
Water Damage Restoration In North Charleston
- Strong, unpleasant odors. Hidden residual water that is allowed to become stagnant over time foster mold and bacterial growth. This mold growth produces a musty, earthy smell that is very strong and does not go away. Any time a strong odor becomes present, it is a strong indicator that there is unseen water damage in the area and restoration needs to begin.
- Signs of mold growth. Mold spores are microscopic and cannot be seen by the naked eye. However, when mold begins to grow on surfaces following exposure to moisture, it will begin to become visible. Discolored spots along floorboards, on ceilings and walls, under cabinets, in the kitchen or bathroom, or really anywhere in the home, could be mold growth. Mold is often a fuzzy appearance, and can be different shades of green, brown, black, and even white. If you notice suspicious discolored areas in your home, have them inspected for mold growth and, consequently, water damage (since mold requires water to grow, if mold is growing there must be a source of water).
- Stains on ceiling and walls. When water leaks behind drywall, and seeps into walls and ceilings, it will manifest in a stain or blotch. Often brownish in color, water stains may change color as they dry and become wet again. Water stains may also grow larger as more and more water penetrates the area.
- Changes in ceilings, walls, and floors. As materials that make the walls, ceiling, and floors in our home become saturated with water, they will begin to swell. This added weight might cause ceiling to sag, walls to bow, and floors to warp. Deformities and buckling in these structures are signs that there is extensive damage and it needs to be addressed immediately to avoid collapse.
- Peeling and bubbling paint. Hidden water damage will cause paint to begin to bubble up and peel off of walls. When drywall becomes saturated, it causes paint to lose adhesion, resulting in a bubbly appearance as it peels away from the wall. In severe cases, there will be so much excess water that it will cause bubbles and pockets of water to build up under the paint.
If you suspect water damage in your home, or notice any of these signs, call Clean Masters right away. When it comes to water damage, it is best not to delay. This is why we offer 24/7 response services in North Charleston. With our equipment, experience, and techniques, we can handle all your water damage restoration needs quickly and effectively. Do not ignore any of the warning signs of water damage, and act quickly by calling Clean Masters.